Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Obama Comic Books


Jonathan V. Last, writing in today's Opinion section of the Wall Street Journal, marks the 18 month anniversary of Obamamania with an overview of the comic books devoted to our President.

"In issue #137 of Savage Dragon, the titular character, a green-skinned, super-powered Chicago policeman, appears on the cover with a grinning Obama, proclaiming, 'I'm Savage Dragon and I endorse Barack Obama for President of the United States!' Normally an obscure title, that issue of Savage Dragon sold out through four printings."

I always thought that Erik Larsen's SAVAGE DRAGON was a good seller. It certainly isn't "obscure."

I took a look at the SAVAGE DRAGON FAQ page; an interview with creator Erik Larsen:

Q. Erik, What's it like knowing your title is one of the most read by your peers?

A. Good and bad. I've heard from Chris Claremont, Jim Steranko and Harlan Ellison - three guys I never expected to read this book. It's frustrating to me that I can't reach more of the regular folks. Somehow there's the perception out there that this book is aimed at young kids - but such is not the case. Sigh.
Mr. Last recounts other comics, including Spider-Man, wherein Spidey and Obama fist-bump, and tells us there are more to come. The reason? Sales. Obama sells.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's it---I'm putting Obama in my next cartoon.

Jeff P.