Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Mike Lynch Cartoon in Prospect Magazine (UK)


This month's issue of PROSPECT brings you a Mike lynch cartoon....



When I first came to New York City, I worked in some non-cartoonist jobs, mostly in higher education. I was working 40+ hours a week in my regular job, and commuting a total of 2 hours a day to our dinky Flatbush apartment. And I was taking classes at Parsons and assisting a comic book artist. I was a busy guy!

As I moved up as an educational administrator, I had responsibility for more and more staff. And, while most people do their best, I was surprised by the number of people who just did not/would not do their work. I was naive. I really thought that NYC people were the best of the best. But, no. They're regular people -- some great, some so-so, some not.

And so, as a guy whose job it was to make other people do THEIR jobs, I listened to a lot of excuses. And these people were not taking classes or assisting a comic book artist until midnight.
All this came to mind when I was thinking up the above cartoon. I do have some very good memories of people that were great at their jobs -- but the shirkers, the excuse-makers, the lazy -- all drove me nuts.

My goodness -- I just realized -- I was the pointy-haired boss!!! Ha ha.

I enjoyed drawing the puff of smoke.

No comments: